[meteorite-list] Mars Day at National Air and Space Museum

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 19 12:01:29 2006

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventDetail.cfm?eventID=497

Mars Day!
Celebrate the National Air and Space Museum's Anniversary Year
Friday, July 21
10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Throughout the National Mall building
Admission: Free

Celebrate the Red Planet at the National Air and Space Museum!

Our closest neighbor in the Solar System has been the subject of
mythology for centuries. In only the past 40 years have Earthlings been
exploring Mars with satellites and landers, yet the more we learn about
Mars, the more questions we have.

Meet the scientists that are currently working on Mars exploration and
planning future Mars projects. Learn about Mars geology and see evidence
of past water on the now dry planet surface. Hands-on activities
throughout the Museum, staffed by our resident Martians, transport
visitors from the Earthly confines to the surface of the Red Planet.

See a real meteorite from Mars, check out 3-D images of the Martian
surface, explore a full-scale model of the Mars Exploration Rovers
currently on Mars, and win prizes in the Red Planet Quiz Show.

In coordination with Mars Day!, celebrate the National Air and Space
Museum's Anniversary Year.

Thirty years ago, as a highlight of the American Bicentennial, the
museum welcomed the first visitors to its new flagship building on the
National Mall in Washington. The Mall building quickly became the most
popular museum site in the world and has now welcomed more than 250
million visitors.

Anniversary-themed hands-on activities will be throughout the Museum,
and visitors will have the opportunity to take home historic
souvenirs, from patches and books to movie posters, from the past 30
years of the National Air and Space Museum.

Driving directions to the Museum on the National Mall
<http://www.nasm.si.edu//visit/directions/directions_mall.cfm>

Museum Floorplan
<http://www.nasm.si.edu//visit/floorplans/nasmmap.cfm>