[meteorite-list] Man in Norway 2 m from meteorite falling on Friday!

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 16 16:03:27 2006

A better image here:

http://www.aftenposten.no/viten/article1389622.ece

Hi Bj?rn and List,

"They do look like true typical chondrites, I would say"

Yep, and they look like the "real thing" - maybe LL5 or LL6.

Saturday, July 15, my wife and I witnessed a bluish fireball
(magnitude about -4 => Venus) at about 23:27 CEDST entering
the atmosphere from NNW to NNE. It was descending rather slowly
and extinguished at an altitude of about 20? above the horizon.
My wife said she even heard a "whistling" or a "sizzling" noise.
When I looked up the meteoroid had all but "disappeared" behind
the dense leaves of my neighbor's trees. But I could see it descend
in spite of the leaves between me and the object in the sky.
I instantly notified Dieter Heinlein via our German List and if
it was a meteoroid and if it reached the ground their cameras
should show something.
If what my wife heard was really the sound of a descending meteoroid,
something may have come down somewhere between Mannheim and Frankfurt,
Germany. Dieter will keep us posted if they find something on their
cameras.

Cheers from summerly
hot Germany,

Bernd