[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 15 17:59:42 2006

>What Marvin almost always does is sell half of a specimen and keep the rest
>intact. In this fashion, he hasn't entirely kept meteorites from being
>cut,
>but he sure keeps a hell of a lot of them more intact than they would
>otherwise be, and for that I applaud him.

So in other words he does the exact same thing every other dealer does?

>By offering to pay for what dealers might offer them?

no, but forming a high profile public institution who's goal is to raise a
whole lot of money and use to to soak up meteorites.

>No, the Acapulcoite was in Blaine Reed's room. And it was pretty fresh -
>not weathered, as you state, the stone that you saw was.

Maybe our deffinition of weathering isnt the same, but it wasnt an
acapulcoite it was a h6. you might be be good at identifying metorites, but
I'll take NAU's word over yours in this case.

>The Ureilites were
>1) Being carried around one evening by a fellow...Mike Martinez? Could
>have
>been, but maybe I just saw him a lot during the show...sorry, but it was
>six
>months ago....really not sure......
>and
>2) Outside Mike Farmer's room in the possession of a Moroccan fellow. At
>the very least you can ask Mike about that one - he should remember it.

sorry, but this IS the meteorite I was talking about. it certainly wasnt
pulled out of some common chonderite bin in tucson. It was broken up by the
owner because he couldnt sell it whole. I first got photos of it 11/9/05 it
was a flat, roundish stone of 9.3 kg - want me to email you a pic of it
whole? dont think it's the same stone? ask Martin Altmann or Blaine

>And by the way, don't think I can't very easily recognize a meteorite on
>sight. I've found 103 meteorites with a few achondrites tossed in, one of
>which has been classified (Superior Valley 014, an Acapulcoite ;)

I never suggested that. i only suggested that the story you were told of how
a meteorite came to be in tucson might not be accurate, although I'm sure
you will agree that not all meteoreites can be accurately identified by
simple imspection. nwa 1054 doesnt look much diffrent than an H4/5 after all
and it's a winonaite.

>A) Last I saw, neither were you. At least I've spoken with a director in
>depth about these issues, and have had a short word now with the other
>director as well.
>B) They state that a portion of meteorites need to be conserved for future
>studies, yes. And the $10 mil probably wouldn't be available for spending
>if it's to be an endowment...sorry to burst your bubble there, but I think
>it would be legally protected.

you are speaking about 'probablies' and in definate terms about what the
center WONT do - even though you are in no position of authority to do so.
i'm more concerned about that the center MIGHT do. see the diffrence?

>If you think
>that simply stating my opinion is badmouthing people, go right ahead an
>insult me.

you seemed to go beyond that and imply that the people who liked collecting
bessy specs were somehow 'wrong' because they didnt subscribe to the same
philosophy as you. at least that was the impression you left me with, and by
another email i recived at least 1 more person.

>I know the intentions of the directors, and personally, I can guarantee you
>that the sort of wanton buying of everything in sight that you so fear
>won't
>occur. If that's not good enough for you, I see no reason to continue this
>argument, because you don't believe what I'm saying in the first place.

unfortunatly Jason, you cant guarantee anything - you arent int he position
to do so - no matter what anyone has told you.