AW: [meteorite-list] How they classify Meteorites

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 13 18:13:43 2006

No, it was only a joke,

But to explain the criteria for the different types --- people wrote whole
books about, because it isn't trivial.
So an answer would be somewhat extremely long.

Hence more simple it would be to read Norton's book,
which is written a quite clear style, so that one can understand it well,
without having a degree in mineralogy.
If you plan to stay longer at meteorite collecting, it is well worth the
invest - I'm collecting since a long time and I didn't regret to have bought
it.

An idea of the different types you may also get from David Weir's phantastic
site:
http://www.meteoritestudies.com/

Martin

PS: A "typing" can't be done totally without equipment,
only guesses one can make.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----