[meteorite-list] How they classify Meteorites

From: Walter L. Newton <newtonw2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 13 17:06:30 2006

Hi

What are the steps that a lab takes to classify a meteorite? Are there any
simple guidelines that we can use to get in the ballpark.

An example. I cut and polish opals. We have charts to gauge the matrix
color, the flash patterns in the stone, pictures that show examples of the
different kinds of opal (white, crystal, semi-crystal, boulder, black opal
etc.).

Is there anything available for meteorites. The 3-7 numbers used to indicate
chondrule density, how is that determined? Is it so many chondrules for a
certain surface area? Is it the condition of the chondrules? If they are
rating the stone from 3-7, then they must have some sort of metrics they
use.

I would imagine h-l-ll is determined by some sort of lab equipment. But is
there some general information that can be used to at least give us an idea
of magnetic attraction? I know I can take a handful of similar sized
unclassified NWA's, and a magnet will have a strong, medium or very low
attraction to these stones. Is this good enough to get an approximate idea
of h-l-ll?

Since I started this hobby about 3 months ago, I have purchased just about
all of the popular books on the subject yet I don't recall seeing any charts
or something on this subject.

Thanks for reading.

Walter L. Newton
Golden, Co

P.S. Any guidelines on how to slice meteorites? What I mean is, do you slice
in a direction that gives you the most surface area, or in some direction
that gives you the best view of the matrix and chondrules? Is there any way
to know what direction will give you the best looking slice, showing the
best looking "innards."