[meteorite-list] Antarctic comet dust "perhaps" in better conditionthan Stardust

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 13 08:25:39 2006

Hi Adam:

Here is my attempt to give a short answer based on very little information on
what they found, but comparing this to what we have seen from Stardust and
what has been collected in the past.

1. From U2 dust collection studies (Brownley Particles), there are mainly two
types of Interplanetary Dust Particles: Chondritic Smooth (amorphous exterors,
hydrated silicates, thought to be related to asteroids(?)). Chondritic Porous
(anydrous, "fluffy," cpntain samll rains that may perdate the Solar System,
comet dust(?)).

2. From what I have seen so far, much of the Stardust material has still
been "altered." If you look at the images, while they did not have the effects
of sitting in space for a few million years and going through Earth's
atmosphere, they did impact the aerogel at a fairly good speed.

Based on this and on the abstract, I am assuming this they found lots of small
particles that are similar to Interplanetary Dust Particles, but that have
made it to the ground (the old look in a barrel of water and you will find
micrometeorites, but on a much longer timescale).

I am not sure that I can give a more better answer until I have actually seen
pictures (or their detailed discussion), so this is a (sort of) educated guess.

Larry