[meteorite-list] Adventura del Monte Meteorite (meteorwrong?)

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 18:36:36 2006

Mark,
The "reason I keep bringing it up" is because you had issued a warning to the list that this might be a "meteorwrong" after you went out and saw the piece. You did not state your reasons clearly regarding your observations of this specimen.
It sure looks like a meteorite to me, and in fact it looks like Sikhote Alin. That was my observation of it based on the photos that the seller provided. Now, if it is a new fall and in fact a meteorite (iron) then the sale price of $12,500 is a deal indeed. Even a 127 lb Sikhote Alin at that price is a steal.
As for cutting this specimen to make a determination, that is no big deal. If is an iron, a simple piece of about 20 grams etched will satisfy the question that you raised to the list. "meteorite or meteorwrong"
As for its origin or site origin that would take other tests, and that is no big deal either. UCLA I am sure would do that determination.
Steve Schoner AMS
IMCA #4470

-- "MARK BOSTICK" <thebigcollector_at_msn.com> wrote:
Hello Steve,

I am not sure why you keep e-mailing me and the list on this. I did not sell
or purchase it. I noted if I get news I will report, I have not gotten any
news on it. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been cut yet.

I do imagine it is a meteorite. I just wanted to test it a little before
declaring it a meteorite since it failed the scratch test. Futher I believe
it wrong to scientifically declare it a meteorite until it has been tested
more.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas