AW: AW: [meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 17:09:36 2006

Unfortunately I know only very few, which are interested in meteorites :-)

Hehe, there are 35.000 known meteorites.
Imagine you would be able to get access to all of them,
also to the 25.000 Antarctic ones and all, which are closed away in museums
and never were available.
Well, if you would suggest to your wealthy client a nice complete collection
of all meteorites of the world, let's say in fat 1" x 1" blocks of 10grams
each, and you would tell a silly high price of 50$/g.

No objection! I know that Mars and Moon and a very few other exotics and a
fery few historical falls are paid higher - but what he mainly would get,
are weathered ordinary chondrites and who would complain there to get it
sold at 50$/g (and with such a buy-off).

What would the customer have then to pay for the
complete-world-and-history-collection?

17.5 million$.

Hmm, I guess, there exist quite a bunch of robber barons mighty enough to
pay that fun.

Buckleboo!
Martin

PS: This instrument is always extremely helpful:
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/metbull.php

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----