[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 16:21:10 2006

Hi Stan,
        While I more than appreciate your concern - since I am a collector
and a dealer, of course, I would share your perspective IF that were
what the center were about. However, in protracted discussions with
Marvin and Dr. Lauretta that is certainly not the sense I get, at all.
In fact, the goal of the center is to buy from dealers/finders only portions
of each fall and find - leaving the remainder of each fall/find available to
the collecting community.
        Now, I can tell you as a dealer there is no way (and Marvin, having
been a dealer for years is well aware of this) I or any other dealer would
sell them material for less than they (the dealers) could get for it on the
market. They (the institution) know they will be paying and they don?t
have any interest in
>"their goal as keeping rare material off the collector's market"
- indeed, they would only like to get a significant percentage of said
material. (Note, for example, what Bob Haag did with Zagami - cut up
and sold a significant percentage - and kept a significant percentage).
It will be far more conceivable for the center to get a percentage of
everything than to attempt to
>"own the very stones they are classifying."
[paraphrased]
        Even if the center were able to generate a small fortune in funding,
it would still be far more realistic to get some of everything than all of
some things. Only Bill Gates could afford to buy every gram of material
"on the market." And even then, other institutions will have their holdings
which are never for sale - at best available as a percentage used as trade
for other material.
        So, if anyone is holding the illusion that Marvin Killgore or anyone
else at the center is so na?ve as to think they could generate the hundreds
and hundreds of millions of dollars it would take to buy EVERYTHING,
please be informed that they are not - nor is that their goal. Their goal is
to ultimately build the largest, most representative repository and display
of meteorites in the world - that is a sufficiently large goal - owning
every gram of meteoritic material would be not only beyond any institution's
reach, it would not be desirable.
        It sounds, however, like you heard them come across more like rabid
animal rights maniacs who think no one should ever eat meat, wear
leather shoes (let alone fur), do ANY animal testing of any kind - in
fact, no one should ever own any animal at all - and if they disagree
with my perspective, they deserve to be killed - because they are being
speciscentric!
        I guess I look at them more as trying to maintain a zoo where all
the DNA is protected. It doesn't mean there can't be many more wild
animals "out there" as well as private owners of animals - or hunters.
In fact, the institutions are dependant upon meteorite hunters directly
as well as the private meteorite collectors (which create a market)
indirectly - or there would be no motivation for the hunters and dealers
to make the material available.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
The greater a person's sense of guilt, the greater his or her need to cast
blame on others.