[meteorite-list] Beware of meteorite hunters

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 10 05:34:32 2006

>Meteorites have very little or no commercial value until studied so these

I dont know how much money you guys have spent on unclassified rocks, but
given what I have sent to morroco as a minor player I'd have to beg to
differ with you on that one.

>"rocks" were unconditionally released under the permit in question.>"The
>mining law issued by Royal Decree No. 27/2003 prohibited the practice
>of all rock and mineral mining and exploratory activities and trading in
>the
>same without obtaining permissions from the Directorate-General of
>Minerals."

well this is pretty straight foward. It means the practice of all rock and
mineral mining and exploratory activities and trading in the same without
obtaining permissions from the Directorate-General of Minerals is illegal.
but that says NOTHING about the exportation of the material. So finding the
rocks is against the law, but their removal from the country is not. meaning
there should be no problems with private ownership of ANY material from
oman. pre 2003 or rocks found yesterday - it shouldnt matter.