[meteorite-list] Sikhote-Alin 'Impact Pit' Pics

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 8 19:40:05 2006

Hello All,

After a bit of work on his part, and no fewer than thirty-seven emails that
did or didn't get to wherever they were supposed to go (we may never know
what gets lost within the bowels of the internet...), Jeff Kuyken was able
to get a number of pics of cratered Sikhotes up onto his site.

They're of seven Sikhote-Alins in our collection (viz., my father's and my
collection), which display pits on leading edges, trailing edges,
non-oriented irons, and in a fairly wide range of sizes.
Enjoy!

 7.9g
Oriented.
Crater on trailing edge.
Diameter of crater is 3mm with a depth of ~1.5mm.
Upraised rim, and small bump visible in the bottom of the pit itself.
 http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa1.jpg

 54.6g
Not oriented.
Crater is approximately 2.5mm across and about 2mm deep.
Upraised rim.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa5.jpg

 77.7g
Not oriented.
Crater has a 2mm diameter and a 1/2mm depth.
Clear upraised rim.
Second best crater of the lot.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa3.jpg
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa7.jpg

 17.9g
Not oriented.
Crater is 3mm in diameter and ~1.5-2mm deep.
Thin upraised rim.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa4.jpg
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa6.jpg

 21.6g
Not oriented.
At least 5+mm in diameter and 4mm deep.
Large rim, up to 1mm thick on one side.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa8.jpg

 47.4g
Oriented
Crater on the leading edge.
The crater is 2.5mm in diameter and 1.5mm deep.
Big rim, by far the best crater of the lot.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa9.jpg
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa10.jpg
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa12.jpg

 101.2g
 Oriented, crater just off dead-center on the leading edge.
 Diameter = 4mm
Depth = 2mm
Upraised rim, small bump in the center of the floor of the crater, visible
even in this wide-shot.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/images/sa11.jpg

And here's a picture of all of the Sikhotes together; the order from left to
right, back row to front.
3, 2, 1,
6, 5, 4,
7