[meteorite-list] Harvey Awards + Thanks to Greg and the List

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 25 13:41:42 2006

Dear Friends:

I had house guests last night, so have only now had the chance to read
your many kind emails. Wow, what a response! As Greg wrote to me,
privately, "The List has spoken."

When Steve and I came up with the idea of the Harveys, quite some years
ago now, we decided that we, ourselves, would not be eligible. It would
be tacky to give ourselves an award, right? : )

However, we dare not ignore the wishes of our friends and peers. I have
spoke to Steve, and we will gratefully receive the People's Award this
year. I have not yet spoken with Phil, but I certainly hope he will
concur, and it is certainly well deserved. As well as being the person
who believed in Steve's Brenham mission, and made it happen, Phil has
made a truly Herculean behind-the-scenes effort to bring the big
Brenham to Tucson, so that many of you good folks will have the
pleasure of visiting with it in person. Phil is too modest a fellow to
tell you this himself.

Steve is on the road, at the moment, which is why he hasn't had a
chance to reply.

So, Greg and I will figure out a way to do this. Thank you all for your
support and good wishes, both of which mean a great deal to us!

I have one request/suggestion: let's make the People's Choice an annual
event, so that each year, you can all vote for some deserving person(s)
for a Harvey.

Thank you again, and I am looking forward to seeing many of you here in
sunny Tucson, this week and next week.

Sincerely

Geoff N.