[meteorite-list] GA. Fireball spotted on 1/19/06 _at_ 10:55 pm.

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 24 17:15:01 2006

Hi, Mark,

    Because of the innate limitations of our
brain routines for distance and the absence
of any reference points in the sky, fireballs
almost always "seem" to go down "very
close" to the observer.
    Just over that hill, or just behind the barn,
one hears it again and again, when the bolide
was 20 miles up, hypersonic, and if it left any
fragments -- well, they are three counties over!
    As for observation, well, you were just very
fortunate to have seen it. While God may mark
the fall of every sparrow, the same guarantee
does not seem to apply to humans spotting
meteorites and fireballs! Many spectacular
fireballs go unobserved, and most meteorites
are "finds" not "falls." You were lucky to have
even seen it.
    I once saw a spectacular daylight bolide half
as bright as the Sun. It was June 30th, so it was
probably a beta Taurid. It may well have been
an "earth grazer" like the Grand Teton fireball.
It was brighter, so probably bigger.
    I spent many months trying to dig up other
observations so I could triangulate its path,
even advertising in many small town newspapers
(farmers look up now and then, don't they?),
and failed to come up with a single observation.
Nobody noticed or remembered, it seemed.

Sterling K. Webb