[meteorite-list] Re: Dronino & Steve Schoner's meteorite anti-rust treatment.

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 23 22:42:11 2006

Mike & list,

I haven't seen any responses come through on this and
it's a bit of meteorite lore that many might find
occasion to need. I don't know anything about the
Schoner post you mentioned, but last year I had a
chance to go to Argentina and acquire some Campos
directly from the family who's estancia includes part
of the strewn field. They have recovered more than a
tonne from the family garden plot!

This is an extreme case, and for lesser rust you can
be less aggressive. The pieces I got were very rusty.
The locals coached me on cleaning them, and this
approach worked very well.

1) pound all the scaly areas with a hammer. It sounds
brutal, but you won't be able to mark the solid metal
(remember the Tucson ring/anvil!). Only the scaling
rust will flake off, and you need to get rid of it. I
used my geologist's pick. The pointy end works well
for getting into regmaglypts. Spend some energy at
this stage. I was stuck in a field camp in the high
Andes, so I pounded on my meteorites every evening for
a couple of weeks. Rust everywhere! This is an
outside job.

2) Immerse it in a strong sodium hydroxide solution
for as long as it takes. Two weeks is common, a month
is not uncommon. You will see an amazing amount of
rust flakes spall off and fall to the bottom. After a
couple of weeks transfer the iron to another pail and
decant the lye solution onto it. When stuff quits
falling off, you're done. You will lose some mass,
but this story is about a real rust bucket, and
anything that will come off by this process needs to
come off.

3) Rinse it well. I used water, and I really think
it's okay at this stage. Anything that was porous or
cracked will have come off in steps 1 or 2. You need
to get rid of the lye. You can deal with the water in
step 4.

4) Immerse in anhydrous isopropyl alcohol for about a
week.

5) Air dry, then dry in the oven under low heat, oven
door cracked open for an hour or so.

6) While it's still warm (but no longer hot) treat
with a rust inhibitor. The Argentines suggested
simple mineral oil, which I used with fine results. A
thread on the metlist a year or so ago recommended
Paraloid dissolved in acetone (used for conservation
of archaeological materials). Type B72 for irons, B42
for stones.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers,
Norm, squirrely as a first-grader on the day before
Christmas!!! Heading for Tucson the day after
tomorrow---
(http://TektiteSource.com)

http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey/naoh.htm