[meteorite-list] Meteorite?

From: roc350_at_optonline.net <roc350_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 23 13:11:41 2006

Hello list,
I decided to go out sunday morning on my ATV and do some exploring. I was deep in the woods _at_ 30 miles off the nearest highway. I found a few pieces of material which I am not sure of. This material is magnetic and had a significant amount of rust corrosion on it. I first thought "METEORITE!" Upon further inspection, I found many holes. I don't think that these holes are common traits of meteorites. Maybe hematite, magnetite or iron ore? I took a wire brush and a grinder to one of them and found it to be a dark shiny color containing metal. These rocks are extreemly heavy for their size and do not resemble any piece of magnetite, hematite, or even limonite that I currently have in my collection. One small piece weighs as much as 650g. I don't think I am able to send attachments to the list, but I could e-mail them to any member who would like to check them out and shed some light.

Thanks,
Edward Kerr