[meteorite-list] Sand-crusted, polished OC slice

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 13:07:11 2006

Beda wrote:

"From a donated collection I unpacked an unlabelled slice of an ordinary chondrite,
with a very high quality polish. The meteorite is crusted with an up to 5 mm thick
rind of sand grains, well rounded quartz mostly, cemented by oxides released from
the meteorite. I assume that the slice was acquired more than 15 years ago, material
looks as H4-5, W3. Does this sound familiar to anyone?"

Hello Beda and List,

It may sound familiar to me. About 13 years ago, when Rolf B?hler dropped in at my house,
he had a huge chunk of a stony meteorite in the trunk of his car. What immediately struck my
eyes were the large, bright, beige-colored, sandy patches on this meteorite's weathering rind
which contrasted so neatly with the remaining rusty, black areas that were devoid of this coat-
ing. This was a huge piece (maybe even the main mass ;-) of the H5 chondrite Juanita de Angeles.

Of course, I had to have a piece (19.8 gr) that has been residing in my collection ever since.

Best regards,

Bernd