[meteorite-list] Main mass

From: Andreas Gren <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 04:22:21 2006

Hello List,
are there main masses of the following Meteorites? Coya Norte, Filomena,
Puripica, Quillagua, Rio Loa, San Martin,
Tocopilla & Union.
Or are they just North Chile?

So this will happen to all the paired NWAs sooner or later.It will depend if
the Nomclat will throw away the paired numbers and just the first given
number will survive.
Or will they use the paired numbers in future.
So it could be NWA 6978 ex NWA 6997 main mass.

Does the main mass have to bee one Stone ? when I submit to the Nomclat a
meteorite in 25 individuals or fragments wouldn't the Nomclat also say the
main mass is with Mr x ,not specifying witch stone they mean?

So for my part I don't have problems with NWA Main masses as long the
Nomclat all the different pairings is using.

But I have a problem with using the term Main mass when more than the half
of the Stone is gone. Because when I am the owner of a whole Meteorite and I
cut it and give the biggest piece away and sell some other slices as well
and now the owner of the biggest piece cut it in small slices ,suddenly a
owner of a full slice has the main mass and nobody will know.

So I think when its more cut than the half ,the Main mass is gone.

Does a Meteorite to have a Main mass?

Just some thoughts in the morning.

Andi