[meteorite-list] Term Main Mass

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 00:04:34 2006

I agree with what Mike had to say about not using the term Main Mass to
describe a pairing of smaller size, it seems too misleading to me. Scientist
have made a good effort with the pairing issues. One just has to look at
the following sites to see this is so:

http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/meteorites/moon_meteorites_list.html

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/

Not only that, pairings are mentioned in abstracts because most scientists
use this information and believe it is valid data. I think a better term
must be available, mainly in the interest of collectors. I would never claim
to have 42 planetary main masses even though I may have the same number of
nomenclature assignments. To do so would be fraudulent in my opinion.

Take Care,

Adam