[meteorite-list] Stardust SRC Hot to the touch?

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 18 10:32:54 2006

Hi Martin:

Ron is probably the expert on this, but meteoroids ablate as they come in so
most of the energy vaporizes the object (as fast as the heat is transferred
into the object). One does not want this for a spacecraft (would have to start
out very large), so the heat shield absorbs much of the energy and can "take
the heat."

Larry