[meteorite-list] Rock in your Pocket Results

From: sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 18 01:30:59 2006

Hi, Gary,

    I was de-e-mailed at the time of the
Pocket Rock survey, so couldn't contribute,
but for years and years, I carried a 20 gram
ODESSA, that had been tumbled in a rock
polisher until it was a gleaming nugget of
celestial stainless steel. Then, it disappeared,
as pockets contents often do.
    I spent a lot of time under my car seat,
deep-diving in the sofa cushions, looking in
the bottom of the washing machine, but
never recovered it. Somewhere in Illinois,
there is a pristine and uncorroded ODESSA
awaiting discovery by a puzzled meteoricist.
    I had purchased it on eBay from the
non-Chicago Steve Arnold, who has since
given up on 20 gram irons in favor of
650,000 gram pallasites, so I guess I
can't buy a replacement nugget from him...
    Can you tumble-polish pallasites? No?
I didn't think so...
    I never replaced it. I suppose that means
I'm a former "Yes" but now an involuntary
"No."

Sterling K. Webb