[meteorite-list] Campo Preservation

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 17 16:56:52 2006

Hi Gary and List,

This is a tough question to answer because each meteorite is different. In
all cases that involve liquid polishing it is good to use distilled water or
oil starting with coarse grits and going finer until the desired contrast is
reached. I start with 180, then 220, then 360, then 600, then 1200 and if
needed all the way up to 3000 grit. Sometimes I will stop at 360 or 600 if I
start losing contrast between the chondrules and the matrix. I always dry
the specimen afterwards using a halogen lamp and do a final dry finish by
hand. If rust appears, I apply a second dry polish. The surfaces then seem
to fall into equilibrium with their new alien environment (Earth's
atmosphere).

Take Care,

Adam