[meteorite-list] Slashes and hyphens (and round brackets)

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 17 14:01:54 2006

No, it's not possible. But you will find these
in the literature, as you point out. There are
several reasons why you find these:

1) It's an error. Scientists get just as
confused by these symbols as anybody else. Shisr
010 clearly slipped through the cracks and should
have been caught editorially. Chances are, this one should have had a hyphen.

2) It's an alternative usage. There are papers
out there, e.g. Sears et al (1991) [Proc. Lunar
Planet. Sci. 21, 493-512] that use slashes in the
opposite sense as the Meteoritical
Bulletin. They classified Ngawi as LL3.2/3.7,
but if this appeared in the Bulletin today it would be LL3.2-3.7.

3) The slash was meant by the classifier to show
uncertainty rather than transition. I don't know
of any specific examples, but it's possible.