[meteorite-list] Who is Whom

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 16 15:21:13 2006

HI Edward,
        Sorry you are having trouble.
        First, be assured I am NOT computer sophisticated, so,
everything I have to say is like "suggestions for computer dummies"
in finding resources (not the answers)!
        I am fairly certain that each kind of email software has
its own way of configuring your sender ID. The first thing you should do is
email yourself and see if your name as well as email address
is listed as the sender. If, in fact, it is, then there must be something
going on between your server and the List server and that is where the
problem will have to be remedied. If that is the case, I would then, go
to METEORITE CENTRAL and see how to email Art and see if he
can do anything (don't expect a "rush job" as he is a very busy
fellow and things can take some time, but he tends to be thorough).
        If, when sending to yourself your name is NOT indicated as
the sender, then you must determine how your particular email
program configures your email ID. I have a couple of Ceber Tec
guys - one charges $40/hr the other $25/hr. Guess which one I always
try to get first? (BTW, one you start using/paying one once or twice,
"easy" problems like this are usually remedied with a 2 minute
phone call with "no charge."
        While you are at it, you may have other problems with your
computer, as this is certainly a 2 minute job and you will be paying
for a 1 hr minimum, so, have them show you how to do the 10 or
15 things you always knew your computer could do but couldn't
figure out before.
        The other option is "networking" a friend - of all the people you
know, at least 2 or 3 are probably pretty sophisticated with computers
and 1 is likely to warrant the status "computer geek" - and they tend
to be very helpful, especially for a single problem.
        Of course, there are probably 20 on the list and someone is likely
to come to your aid - I would suggest getting their phone number and
calling them - usually it is easier and faster - the cost of the call on
your end is MUCH cheaper than a professional.
        In any event, the name of your email software will likely be
important (mine is "Entourage") and be sure they know whether you
are on a PC or a Mac, as this may dramatically effect the situation.
        You can also google the name of your email software, go to their
site and seek directions - they usually have Q & A pages, etc. and this
may be something you can address yourself.
        Lastly: If you send me a JPG of you we can all see to whom it is
we are communicating!
        Best wishes, Michael

--
"He is not a lover who does not love forever." - Euripides (485-406BC)