[meteorite-list] Meteor Lights Up The Morning Skies in Idaho

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 12 23:47:03 2006

Howdy

   If anyone decides to go looking for this one, drop me a line. I seem
to have some remote imagery of the meteor. Traveling out to Idaho from
DC rates pretty low on the feasability scale right now, though.

Cheers,
MDF

> http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-jan1206-meteor_sighting.6f734dcd.html
>
> Meteor lights up the morning skies
> Mike Vogel
> KTVB NewsChannel 7
> January 12, 2006
>
> BOISEE -- It happened early Thursday morning around 7:15 a.m.
>
> A very bright meteor lit up the skies and streaked across the horizon.
>
> NewsChannel 7 spoke with several of the people who witnessed it.
>
> We had numerous calls here at the station from people who saw it.
>
> Police dispatch also took several calls, and even one person in the
> Boise Airport tower saw it.
>
> And though the eyewitness accounts vary slightly, they are all
> consistent with it being a meteor.
>
> "I was driving north on Bogus Basin, and I looked up in the sky and
> there was fireworks coming down," said Jacqueline Correnti.
>
> When Jacqueline Correnti looked up in the sky this morning she couldn't
> believe her eyes.
>
> "I only saw it for a second or two,' said Correnti.
>
> A meteor in the skies above the Treasure Valley going west to east.
>
> "Between where those two clouds are, it was right in the middle of it,
> and heading that way it was, if I were going out to reach and grab it,
> it was a good volleyball size," said Correnti. "This was definitely not
> a falling star; the tail on it was bright blue and pretty thick. I've
> seen Hailey's Comet in the sky, but that is so far away. this was like,
> this was closer than what an airplane would be. I was so excited, I got
> goose bumps."
>
> Across town in southeast Boise, Libby Hood saw the same thing.
>
> "I saw it for a good ten seconds it was phenomenal. Was coming home and
> the bright light from this object in the sky caught my attention and it
> was low enough here above the roof line, I was just about to pull into
> the driveway and a flash kind of caught my eye, and I looked over to the
> left and I seen this ball of fire with a tail behind it, kind of at a
> gradual descent," said Hood.
>
> At first she thought it might be a plane going down.
>
> "I verbally remember myself saying, 'oh my gosh,' because it was that I
> looked, and I looked again, and just watched this thing go across the
> sky, and it was so low. Pretty amazing, pretty phenomenal to witness
> that," said Hood.
>
> Experts from the Boise Astronomical Society say that if the it did hit
> the ground, the meteorite would likely be smaller than a walnut.
>
> And although it's unclear if anyone saw it land, considering its size,
> it is highly unlikely anyone would ever find it.
>
> But if anyone did find it, meteorites are worth a lot of money. Some
> put their value at about the same as gold.

Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH: 202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)