[meteorite-list] Nickel test

From: Ingo Herkstroeter <metopaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 6 09:49:28 2006

Hi Pierre-Marie and List!

I had problems with the Ni-test (with dimethylglyoxime) too. The problem is,
that this substance shows a reaction with Fe2+-ions too. So you don?t know,
if the pink reaction shows truly Ni or only iron (iron dissolves much more
better in HCl than Ni)!
It seems that there is only one way to be sure: use also H202
(hydrogenperoxide or hydrogensuperoxide) to oxidise the Fe2+-ions, than
testing with dimethylglyoxime. If you see pink, it?s Ni!

Hope this will help you.

Ingo/Germany

 --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---