[meteorite-list] Clarification? ...Prospectors, Scientists Vie for Rocks More Precious Than Gold (Meteorites)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 27 07:40:20 2006

Hiho list,

Hola

As so often Slow Brain Martin has difficulties to understand the whole
thing. Perhaps the Killgores may explain us, what this new Center is all
about, to avoid misunderstandings or deformation by media or wrong
quotations.

On 1st of February Ron Baalke posted to the list an announcement and the
introduction of that new Center, written by Lori Stiles
"UA Scientist and Private Collector Form Center to Save Meteorites"

There the aims of the Center were defined:

They want to preserve meteorites for being cut and for science, they want to
classify, to document, to curate them and they want "to control the market
situation" and to buy them.

"The whole point of what we're doing is to prevent people from cutting
every rare meteorite into tiny, little pieces," said Marvin Killgore

"SWMC will offer collectors, dealers, owners and amateur enthusiasts a fair
price for part of the vanishing meteorite legacy."

"And after UA
buys some, or all, of the meteorite for the public repository, everybody in
the market will know just how much of the material is still left for sale."

------

Before on 20th of January Dolores Hill forwarded a clarification of
Lauretta/Killgore, because Killgore was attacked because of a possible
conflict of a commercial dealer being employed by a non-commercial
scientific institution.

There they state as goals:
Education, preservation, classification, to become one of the largest
collections.

------

They have also a homepage: http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/swmc/

The most bold set assertion there reads:

" The preservation of these treasures from outer space requires an
organization with the financial resources to acquire and preserve this
material while it is still available."

The before quotes aims are found there + the goal of raising a fund of ten
million $.

------

(those statements of an enmity between science and commerce, the heritage of
"million" of years accumulated meteorites, and that science hadn't the means
to buy all the stuff - we don't have to discuss, take it for a legitimate
dramatisation for reaching the goals of the Center faster).

Well, I thought: Great! They want to preserve meteorites from cutting. They
want to preserve rare types for science and they want to purchase meteorites
at fair prices.

So to support those aims, I offered them the world largest entire ureilite
stone (according to the Bulletin-Database and Kenna was cut) with 8.4kgs
(the largest Shisr 007 stone was only half as big), to prevent it from the
fate of being destroyed by cutting and I offered it at 2.5$ per gram - at
least for them that should be a "fair price".

I never received an aswer.

------

And finally now, we read the article by Joshua Brownt,
where the before mentioned aims of the Center seem to have changed
or at least were strongly reduced:

" In exchange for getting a piece of a dealer's meteorite to study and add
to their lending library, the center's scientists will verify and classify
the dealer's rock so customers will know what they are buying."

and
"The center promises to cut that verification time down by hiring staff
whose only job is meteorite identification."

That would mean nothing so remarkable, in my eyes, not worth to make such a
noise and it wouldn't be a new approach.
The only difference to the situation before would be, that the University of
Arizona will add on its capacity to classify meteorites.
And that from now on, if someone wants to have classified his/her meteorite
in only a few weeks, it will be for free.
That's an improvement.

In general classifications in other places are free too, but take quite a
while,
and for a classification in all cases everywhere a deposit for science of
20g or 20% of a stone must be supplied,
so I can't see here a New Deal.

If Joshua Brownt is right,
then the SWMC would be nothing else as a place for classification,
and the big words spread would be not adequate,
as all what would be left is: We do classification faster than others
(which is a good thing), bring your stones to us, so that the university
collection can grow with the type specimens.

---
So I think a clarification should be necessary, as I suppose, that some of
those articles maybe are incomplete.
Thanks
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----