[meteorite-list] identifying irons

From: mhutson_at_pdx.edu <mhutson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 23 15:11:03 2006

Hello list: I recently received two iron meteorites without documentation. The
original owner died leaving disheveled records, with nothing about two whole
irons (approximately 3-4 lbs--I don't have a scale handy).

One looks a great deal like Canyon Diablo and has a small corner polished off to
reveal the iron (on a point). It is roughly 5 inches x 3 inches x 3 inches and
has a number written on a white paint background. The number is 34.47 . I'm
wondering if this is an American Museum/Nininger number (as several Canyon
Diablo samples from there start with 34).

I suspect the other is a Toluca. It is about 4 inches x 3.5 inches x 3 inches
and has the remnants of a handwritten number on a white paint background. The
number is 1-?,P The dash in the previous number represents either one or two
missing numbers. The ? represents a partial number with loops. It could be a
3, a 6, or an 8. In addition to this number, there is a typed label glued
nearby that says 1982 .

If anyone can definitively identify these two meteorites, I would appreciate it
if you'd e-mail me at mhutson_at_pdx.edu Thanks.