[meteorite-list] Old rusty iron (off topic, sort of)

From: R. N. Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 21 13:23:30 2006

Goran wrote: <<And I still think that ferric chloride for etching is bad>>
In the first place, the ferric chloride is in proximity to the meteorite for
only a few seconds, at most, in the proper solution, not as a dry crystal,
and if you follow the directions given previously (over the years) you will
have no trouble.The etch is much better. We have used this for many years
now and it is a much better way than nitric acid when applied correctly.
This has been verified by countless others who now use ferric to etch and
its validity is well documented. No, we are not going to explain this
again. Go to our archived article in Meteorite Times that explains this.

Ron Hartman