[meteorite-list] Value of Nationalized Meteorites

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 20 19:55:34 2006

Priceless = Worthless (From a monetary standpoint).
I never said thay they didnt deserve the sentence they
got. Actually I am surprised it was so light.
However, in US court sentensing of theft crimes is
often based on the value of something. For example, in
the United States a person can be charged with "THEFT
UNDER $1000" and "THEFT OVER $1000). Theft under $1000
is less serious and would get a lighter sentence than
if it was over $1000 even if the exact same crime was
committed.
If somebody got into a stock market price manipulation
sceme and it was 25 million dollars (Like enron for
example) you might get a life sentence. If you got
manipulating stocks of a small company and improperly
earned $25,000 you would get a year or two.
Value makes a difference in court come sentensing
time. And those meteorites could not be sold for the
amount indiacted in court. The Market value mentioned
in court of out of touch with reality and flat out
wrong. If that figure was used in sentensing the
sentence was not properly calculated because it was
based on a false assumption of value.
Wither there should have been a longer or shorter
sentence is not what I am commenting on (And dont
really have an opinion on anyway - thats for the court
to decide). Whats relivent is that an improper
valuation of the seriousness of the crime was taken
into account in sentensing and thats whats wrong with
the sentence that they received - not what the
sentence actually was or if it was to lenient or
harsh.
Cheers
DEAN

--- Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net>