[meteorite-list] Acapulcoites and NWA 725

From: Kashuba, Ontario, California <mary.kashuba_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 16 18:46:59 2006

Bernd,

I don't mind at all. I think I'm with you wishing I could lean over the
'scope and think "Ah, yes, heat and time makes crystals grow and chondrules
disappear. Metal migrates and other stuff does too." And thereby progress
in an orderly way from chondrites through these primitive achondrites.
Unfortunately, it looks like there is more to it than that. In
Discrimination of Acapulcoites and Lodranites from Winonaites Rumble et al.
state:

Combined petrological and oxygen isotopic analyses of five Northwest African
primitive achondrites . . . have clarified the relationships among
acapulcoites, lodranites and winonaites. It would not be possible to
properly classify some specimens in these groups using their mineral
compositions alone . . . .

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2005/pdf/5138.pdf

To say nothing of mere appearances.

I don't know what to think about Marvin's NWA 1054 Winonaite. Matteo points
out that NWA 1054 is an acapulcoite. Further, I don't see the abundant 120?
triple junctions mentioned in the descriptions of NWA 1054. To me it looks
a lot like NWA 725 (Tissemoumine).

The differences I see under the microscope aren't very subtle. Nor are they
orderly. Please see these examples. The fields of view are all the same,
three and a half millimeters from left to right.

http://www.johnkashuba.com/Ach%20Acapulcoites_and_Winonaites.html

Regards,

- John

John Kashuba