[meteorite-list] Re: Tektites continued...Dirk Ross...Tokyo

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 13 11:50:25 2006

Dear Norm, Steve, Sterling and List,
  Thank you for your posts on tektites. The fact is
we know very little about the formation of tektites
and where the mystery crater(s), if any, are. I have
spent almost 20 years searching Thailand, Laos,
Cambodia and the Philippines. So far, the theories
presented leave more questions and NONE of them have
led us to solving the mystery.
  My working hypothesis is that they were created by
multiple impacts...but no craters directly linked to
their formation have been found to date.
  I can accept that small Australites may have
traveled at high velocities and perhaps long
distances; but when it comes to Indochinites, some
150-200+grams with delicate tails (in drop forms) and
being glass, I cannot understand how they survived
landing on hard rocky surfaces even at free fall
velocity. Most of the tektites that I have collected
are from lateritic soils or eroded lateritic soils.
The laterites are comprised of clays, sand,large
pebbles to cobbles. In some areas the laterite is a
breccia and not a conglomerate. Other areas there is
laterite of only very fine particles and what appears
to be accreationary lapilli; yet other areas only
lateritic soils void of any tektites. The find
location and fall location in my opinion is not a long
distance apart. Glass does not withstand fluvial
transport without breakage and abrasion. Also at the
locations that I have collected in Thailand there are
populations of distinct shapes from area to area (my
paper presented in 2003 at the international symposium
held at Yamaguchi University, Japan; unpublished).
The sample size of the population was approximately
3000 tektites with a total weight of about 55kgs).
  I am convinced this puzzle can only be solved with
someone well-versed in physics and aerodynamics.
  I have done aerodynamic modeling on shape formation
and have been able to duplicate all of the splashform
shapes found in the field, at freefall formation
velocities.
  If anyone has any clues please feel free to comment.
Thank you in advance. Enigma sums up tektites.
Sincerely, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

PS: I am not addressing Muong Nong (layered tektites)
in the above, only splashform tektites. MNs have their
own separate set of problems in explanation. dr