[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 26, Issue 30

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 12 23:11:31 2006

Steve, List,

    It's why I love tektites, as a puzzle.
Every theory explains some features;
no theory explains all the features of
those little devils.
    I regard them as still a wide open
mystery, the only scientific mystery
still going strong after more than 200
years of hypothesis. (The first tektite
theory was published in 1788, long
before the first scientific theory of
meteorites, which had not even been
accepted as real yet.)
    I keep a table of all the theories of
tektites, ancient and modern, and I have
39 listed, including the one that assays
that they are the gizzard stones of emus!
    There are several lunar theories. Nininger
(at one time) believed them to be Lunaites, or
ejecta from lunar meteoroid impact. Chapman
suggested that they were the material that
makes up the bright "rays" that a few young
lunar craters display, ejected all the way to the
Earth, thinking this would account for their
terrestrial distribution pattern (it doesn't).
    Lunar vulcanism of the ordinary
volcanic variety has been suggested
several times, the last time by John
O'Keefe, who refined it to a suggestion of
deep hydrogen volcanoes with hypersonic
hot gas plumes, before moving on to another
theory.
    I am not, BTW, denigrating O'Keefe
for changing theories in mid-stream. O'Keefe
put forward FIVE theories by my count, which
gives him more theories than any one else on
my list. He spent his not inconsiderable talents
on the problem, but all the theory buckets have
holes in them and leak like crazy, not just his,
but all of them.
    Today, we have the impact "consensus"
theory, which is actually not a consensus at
all, because every impact theorist of note
has a tektite impact origin theory of his own
which is not compatible with any other
impact theorist's tektite theory!
    But it's called a consensus because the
real consensus is that there is no point in
wasting any more time on tektites. We've
done them to death, performed every test;
it's time to move on and just accept the least
whacky answer by (unspoken) default.
    Don't get me started; I wrote that post
chewing over the impact theories a long
time ago... I even have a pet theory of
my own (I call him Bruno and feed him
regularly) that manages to explain a lot of
tektite puzzles that the other 39 theories
don't, but --- guess what? My pet theory
has different but glaringly obvious flaws
all its own, so it's DOA, just like all the
other tektite theories.
    They're a paradox. They're a problem.
They're like the jigsaw that seems to going
so well until somebody holds up a piece
you'd forgotten about and innocently says,
"Where's this go?"

Sterling K. Webb