[meteorite-list] The incredible blob (Secret Ad)

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 6 18:11:59 2006

Martin wrote:

"I tried that yahoo-photo thing and loaded up some photos of the ominous inclusion in NWA 4019."

http://de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/metmartinde/my_photos

"NWA 4019 in general is a truely uncommon eucrite."

The 23.5-gram slice with the triple feature is the one I purchased.

"much pure iron inside, sometimes in large needle-shaped inclusions in the matrix."

That's right!

"I could understand such an inclusion in a surface breccia... for me a riddle."

Well, Martin and List, according to Takeda et al., it could well be a "surface breccia"
as you call it. Takeda calls them surface eucrites or lava-like eucrites, but, alas, here
again, NWA 4019 doesn't quite fit. So, only microprobe work and thin section analysis
will tell us more about this unique eucrite.

Reference:

TAKEDA H. (1997) Mineralogical records of early planetary processes on the howardite,
eucrite, diogenite parent body with reference to Vesta (Meteoritics 32-6, 1997, 841-853).

Good night,

Midnight here :-(

Bernd

To: altmann_at_meteorite-martin.de