[meteorite-list] Tektite surface features

From: Bob King <nightsky55_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:42:40 -0600

Hello and a joyful New Year to all,
I have a number of tektites, mostly from Indochina, and have always wondered
how much their pitted and grooved surfaces were caused by actual heating,
cooling and aerodynamic effects, and how much by later erosion on the
ground. I've done some digging on the Web and from what I can read this
still seem to be a puzzle. The thing that gets me are the bubbly areas --
sometimes in linear formation -- right next to perfectly smooth surfaces.
Can anyone tell me what the latest scientific explanation is for these
surface features or point me to a current article or two? Thank you very
much.
Bob