[meteorite-list] Map program

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:11:34 -0700

Hi Mike-

I use Garmin MapSource for all my meteor mapping and strewn field
estimation (and I own just about every GIS program around). The program
ships with various data sets- I use the U.S. Topo set, which is around
$100. MapSource is very well implemented, and is constantly being
updated and improved (with all the upgrades free for download). It's
easy to import and export data, too. MapSource also integrates nicely
with GPS units (mainly Garmin ones, of course). I generally consider
Garmin handhelds to be the best there are, although I'm not up on the
latest models. I'm still using a GPS Map 12. In the car I have a Garmin
Nuvi, which might be the best navigational GPS you can get, but it
probably wouldn't be what you'd want to use in the field. While there
are a few units that support both road navigation and back country
features, I think you'd end up compromising both. Better maybe to stick
with two units for two tasks.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory