[meteorite-list] Weird pic...Apollo 14?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:31:37 -0600

Hi, Kevin, List,

    Assuming you're talking about the blue streaks
in the "sky" that are like UFO contrails, the note in
the Image Library says of AS14-67-9384 (OF300):
    "117:25:32 View to the northeast of the Central
Station and, at the left, the Passive Seismometer
experiment. The blue streak at the upper left is
undoubtedly a film defect. The Cone ridge is in
the distance."
    When I saw the "blue contrail," I thought it might
even be an internal reflection in the lens (even though
Hassy fans would be horrified at the suggestion), from
the shiny pole on the foreground, perhaps.
    But they're probably right about it being a film
defect. My guess is that it would be caused by a
crease in the emulsion and carrier at those (very low)
temperatures. The black area in the print is, of course,
clear in the negative, so any defect would show up.
    Either that, or the pilots of the 8th Lunar UFO
squadron were so careless as to engage their anti-proton
afterburners within the sight of the Earthlings.

Sterling K. Webb