[meteorite-list] apology

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:46:56 -0800

Dear Thaddeus,
        Though you may be a master of sorts regarding the use
of "big words" (I had to look up two in your post below - and
I have a rather large comprehensive, if not usage vocabulary)
you seem not to be able to distinguish between the rather
savvy and certainly socially competent - and in my estimation,
exceptionally diplomatic, Steve Arnold the meteorite dealer,
finder, and recent "King of the Brenham Strewn Field"
from the remarkably dissimilar "Chicago Steve" Arnold.
        This, in my estimation, establishes clearly your limited
exposure to this list. Allow me to suggest you go to my
"Meteorite Friends" page at:

http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/MeteoriteFriends.html

and scroll down to "Steve Arnold" (the entire page is arranged
alphabetically by first name). There you will see a visual difference
of significant magnitude between the two:
        Chicago Steve is the one who is standing on his front porch,
all 6 foot, 7 inches of him, in his classic slippers, shorts and sun
glasses.
        Steve Arnold on the other hand is a far less dapper individual,
seen in his photo in his usual T shirt and jeans looking like a
mellow biker who is having a spiritual vision. There is also
a "Chicago Steve" after the name of same individual, just for the
uninitiated.
        I tell you this, not so much as to help you recognize each of
them, for you likely will never encounter either unless you attend
the Tucson Show, rather because their differences in appearance is
not nearly as great as the differences in their personalities. However,
I suggest you burn their images into your mind (it will be easy if
you click on each image and see the large version) and reflect on
same when reading a post from either of them.
        I always refer to "Chicago Steve" when referring to Chicago
Steve and use "Steve Arnold" when I speak of Steve Arnold.
Unfortunately, these distinguishing references have not fully caught
on, yet, though I keep hoping.
        As a list "newbie" you can always distinguish the two when
they post by the repetitions of exclamation points used by Chicago
Steve!!! If that fails, said posts frequently include simple questions
that even casual research would answer. This is a dead give away,
as is offering meteorite gifts - especially exceptionally small ones of
common types of meteorites, with the offer repeated several times.
Other communications are, shall we say, less than diplomatic are not
exemplary of keen social skills. Chicago Steve has been collecting
meteorites for about 3 years.
        In contrast, Steve Arnold rarely posts to the list, and almost
always to provide, rather than ask for, information. Occasionally
he will offer meteoritic specimens, usually from Brenham, for sale,
but never, ever repeats said offerings. Steve Arnold has been a
meteorite dealer for over 20 years. Steve is also "partners" of sorts
with another of the meteoritic communities "classy" fellows, Geoff
Notkin and they co-founded the prestigious "Harvey Awards" which
are presented in Tucson every year at their wide open, rollickin'
"Birthday Bash" to which nearly everyone comes, as their birthdays
both fall within a week of the primary weekend of the Tucson Show.
        So, with just a little focus on the above facts, one can easily
avoid ever mistaking Chicago Steve for the original Steve Arnold.
        It should be added that many list members do NOT resent
Chicago Steve, and do, in fact, gleefully read his posts but mostly
in anticipation of the posts of those who hate him to be hysterically
humorous - like watching pin ball machines run amok in a giant
Greyhound bus station. Chicago Steve makes a couple of posts and
30 or 40 list members go entirely berserk. It never fails. Nothing on
the list has made many of us laugh so hard since old Proud Tom
disappeared.
        So, tall or short, master of fashion or just a good ol' boy jeans &
a T shirt, they both hold special places in the meteorite community.
However, it is a pity to mistake one for the other.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something if his
salary depends on him not understanding it.