[meteorite-list] (AD) Republic of Palau Nantan Coin

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 04:16:33 -0600

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for clarification of the German private mint run, and mintage, not to
mention the denomination (though denomination is totally a moot point for a
coin that is not intended for general circulation unless someone intends on
spending theirs in Palau).

I hadn't followed this until the last post and what really prompted my
thoughts after hearing the idea being kicked around possibly in jest, that
Palau somehow making the coins - when in fact I doubt most of them will ever
see the daylight there. There are Buy-it-nows on eBay for $57.50 for this
coin, and as is typical auctions where people pay more (currently at $62).
Curiously it is being shipped out of: China.

I am sure this is a beautiful coin for those who can afford it, and it's
silver, so that should add at least $5 of bullion value plus whatever is the
collector's premium, independent of the denomination.

Me, I'll stick with the Palau mermaid from outer space marine conservation
series where no meteorites have been forced to sniff glue and incur the ire
of us PETA meteorite types. (This is a joke - To each his own).

Congratulations on the errors you found and good luck. Definitely worth
having for the affluent part of the meteorite community, and a proof made of
sterling silver always is quite eyecatching.

Best wishes, Doug