[meteorite-list] (AD) Republic of Palau Nantan Coin

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:05:38 -0600

Hello listees, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone,

If you really want to keep abreast of the Palau coins, there is a quite
beautiful series I'd like to recommend. The particular 1993 kicked off the
series (well there was an uglier one in '92) with a sexy and nice outer
space conservation theme (a cool color coin):

http://www.numis-gallery.com/images/PALAU-93-NEW.jpg

Palau, a small country between the Philippines and Hawai'i with an area
smaller than Los Angeles has just over 20,000 inhabitants who depend
principally on tourism and subsistence agriculture. While the country is on
the US dollar standard, I would be interested in knowing whether the $1
meteorite coins ever even passed through any of the Palau islands, or if
they are the product of a continental entrepreneurial Asian mint gift shop?
Most of the coins can be found for $30 to $35 retail, as proof coins and
commemorative uncirculated coins are generally not introduced into
circulation. As you can see, on eBay, they can go for $20-$25 or Buy-It-Now
for around $27.50, though some are now unavailable from the original
distributors with the Palau concession.
http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280052767328

For the quality and the reputation of Palau as a purveyor of fine metals, I
would suspect that you will have good long term results - provided they were
made through the entrepreneurial venture of coin dealer Martin Weiss' Los
Angeles based PandaAmerica company which is basically an aggressive (and
quite successful) marketing company setting up the production and handling
the marketing of these never-intended for circulation 'on request' souvenir
projects.

Weiss' company deals with the China mint and Asian private mints to makes
award medals, and commemorative coins in hope of eking out greater profit
margins over bullion value or making it pretty enough to convince gift shop
clientelle to splurge for an attractive product. (A plain and simple
collectible, in the latter case)

I'm thinking the Nantan coin would have a run of 20,000-50,000, which is
typical for the Palau/PandaAmerica production runs. It is quite possible
that the coin was minted in China under good QC standards with freshly dug
Nantan, and then shipped to Los Angeles. That would be an interesting
connection on why this particular meteorite was used instead of one enjoying
greater collector stability acceptance. If anyone knows about this on the
list I'd appreciate the inside story.

Weiss's company might give some wholesale pricing on these coins for anyone
so inclined. If you don't like Nantans, I foresee a future of Harvey Awards
struck on meteoritical metal. Everything is done at reasonable price, just
email Peter for a quote at PandaAmerica.com.

For the collectors among us, you might also complement your enjoyment by
checking out some nice mint stamps, which are definitely stable unless you
lick them - and have very pretty meteorite themes. Like the comet crashing
into Jupiter, AH meteorite, or the Jilin meteorite shower. These can be had
for a fraction of the cost of coins and are very nice, and you can even have
fun checking for mistakes. Check out this link, for example (I don't know
what regular postage costs). For under a dollar plus postage you can get a
great AH stamp issue, and there are plenty other economical options. They
are all suitable for framing and arty for the holidays!
http://store.coolstamps.com/endeavor/search?s_q=meteorite&quick=1

Philatelica-numismatically yours,
Doug
PS Many of Palau's commemorative coin sales support token contributions to
natural conservation themes to help justify buying them at over 30 times
their face value. Does anyone know how much, if any is being offered to
what charity or fund, for sales of these meteorite coins?
PPS Please buy Dave's Palau-Nantan conservation kit at $29.95 and support
the meteorite community:-) I have to admit, I liked Hans' $5 Campo Sky
coins better and they were carved from 100% etched meteorite. I believe
Dave's kit is potentially useful with them, too.