[meteorite-list] Image Copyright (was: Look at this greatauction!)

From: Herbert Raab <hraab2006_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:37:22 +0100 (MET)

Jim Strope wrote:

> That is not the issue.
> The issue is that it was a direct link to my website. So everytime
> the auction was loaded and the photo shown, MY bandwidth was
> charged not his.

Jim, I understand your point. Copyright may not be *the* issue, but
it is an issue with everything you put on the web. People think that
everything they see on the web is free, and that is simply not true.

Just because you park your car on public ground, it does not mean
that anyone can use it for free. They should, at least, ask you for
permission. And just because you put some image on your web site,
it does not mean that everyone can link to it, copy it, use it for print,
or whatever. Unless the material one wants to use is explicitely in the
public domain, one should *always* contact the site owner first.

So take care...

  Herbert