[meteorite-list] Ad or Topic? All metal Nan-Tans

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:49:03 -0800

Hi Bob,
        I found your comment interesting because in reading the post
to which you were referring, I saw it more as a discussion about
the cost / value of large NanTans with only a back door invitation
to anyone interested as opposed to an ad.
        I have wondered, myself about the "market value" of all-metal
(as opposed to the earlier shale balls) Nan-Tans. I know at least
2 dealers who claim to sell LARGE Nan-Tans at substantial prices
(between the prices brought by New Campos and Gibeon irons),
but I have never seen a buyer spend $ anywhere close to that - except
in the two ebay ads Bob provided..... yet he seemed to be complaining
about what I considered to be very substantial prices - ie $59/LB and
$76/LB respectively - yet, he seemed to be complaining about this being
a "low" price.
        I have 3 of these pieces in my auction (from 6.5LB to like 34 LB -
see Lots 91, 92 & 93) with no minimum and will be very interested to see
what they bring. I certainly can't imagine being "disappointed" if they
brought between $59 and $76 per LB!
        So, other than comments about whether or not Bill's post was an
ad or not, does anyone else have experience with the sale price of all
metal Nan-Tans??? I think it is a fascinating subject - I just have never
heard anything on it other than a couple of dealers who claim to get
very high prices and several collectors who claim they aren't even
worth $10/lb (this second price seems to be based on the old shale balls
what wholesaled at Denver and Tucson for the several years when they
were available - I haven't seen any for several years, now however) - those
price differences are HUGE discrepancies, so, any others on the list have
experiences with all metal Nan-Tan prices???
        Best wishes, Michael