[meteorite-list] Mokoia and others/advice on looking after collections

From: ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:46:13 +0000

Hi Wendy

I have to visit the specimens again after Christmas...I am trading with
an educational establishment who want to add more variety to their
collection for study by students.

I have seen the specimens once before and know after discussions that
the Mokoia, being a very fragile CV3, is deteriorating as it is moved
around in small glass bottle....I have already advised them to secure
the fragment more carefully to stop it turning to dust completely e.g.
using membrane boxes.

So it is likely that fragments may be available from their main piece
which I estimate is perhaps 20g or more.

The other specimens are much bigger with additional fragments that may
be available.

Until I have an idea of likely prices per gram I will find the trade
more difficult.

Any other advice by members of the list with regard to preserving
specimens whilst making them accessible for study by small student
groups and individuals would be welcome. We intend to prepare some
specimens for study, polishing and SEM work later.

Graham Ensor

Near Barwell UK