[meteorite-list] Bolide over Denver.

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:19:25 -0700

This wasn't on our cameras, because they had shut down for dawn just
minutes before. But I've received a lot of witness reports because of
all the Denver news coverage. This was a large, but not extraordinary
fireball. All the attention here is just because it happened at commute
hour and a lot of people saw it. There were at least five fireballs over
Colorado last night, including a very impressive one at 03:37 that was
caught on three cameras.

Most reports have been from along the Front Range, and generally all
point in the same direction. Comparing those with reports from Crested
Butte and Silt suggests this terminated somewhere north of the Grand
Mesa. Can't do much better than that with what I've got so far. Some of
the news sources out west will probably pick up on the story tonight and
tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get more reports from that direction. It was
seen as far west as Salt Lake City.

Both western witnesses saw it break up while it was traveling slowly
enough to glow orange. That means it could have dropped some meteorites.
Not much chance of finding anything, however, except by blind luck.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com