[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 23:08:02 -0800

Hello Mike, All,
Ground conditions can vary so greatly that I'd have to say that I have no
real idea.
Given the little research I've put in, I'd say that the ground in the
vicinity of the Campo fall might have better drainage, receive less annual
rainfall (cumulatively anyways), or simply be less acidic or basic in some
way.
I do know for certain that the find locale of Nantan is a very wet
environment, but I know little about the region in which Campo del Cielo
fell.
Regarding the irons themselves, I've yet to see an as-found Nantan with less
than 2-3 inches of oxide coating it, whereas Campos do vary a bit, but it's
usually less than a cm of external oxide.
I'll see what I can do about some pics of the main mass.
Jason