[meteorite-list] Murchison - A smelly Rock

From: Greg Redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:20:01 -0500

All,

   Being the proud owner of an incredible fusion crusted 80g oriented
Murchison from Jim Strope, I can attest to the "smell" described. I keep
this specimen, along with a 1.5g specimen, under a clean glass bell jar.
When I clean the jar I "smell" its' interior and there is a wonderful
aroma that is almost bourbon-like in nature. The jar did not have this
aroma when I bought it and it sits on a glass shelf. My guess is that
the 92+ amino acids with the 13% water by content make for a meteoritic
mixer.

  All the best and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Greg Redfern
NASA JPL Solar System Ambassador
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/index.ht
ml