[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:09:55 -0000

John Said:
>>Does anyone besides me believe that many of the Sikhote-Alin irons
have
>>been "doctored" to look better than they really are?

No, really, do ya think?? :)

(just in case it comes a major revelation - how long in the ground do
you think the original crust/oxide survives on an Iron? A few tens of
years!

These xxx hundred year old Irons (like Campo etc) that are dug out of
the ground with brown rusty goo dripping off them, don't mysteriously
just get a quick wipe with a cloth and end up jet black you know!)

'Doctoring' is a relative term, I'd call it 'preparation', personally I
don't have a problem with an Iron 'ending up' with a black coating, hell
it's a lot better than a wire brushed shiny polished chunk, and at least
the black oxide coating protects the piece to a large extent!

Best,

Mark