[meteorite-list] NWA 2140 smells like gum?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:56:16 -0600

Hi, Walter, List,

    Norton's Rocks From Space, 2nd. Edition, p. 294,
but what he actually says is it "smelled like a bottle
of fine wine," probably not the same as bubblegum...
    So, I can't remember which was the "bubblegum"
meteorite. Parneallee is said to smell like "organic
solvent." Johnstown (Colorado) smelled like "alcohol."
    The Tagish Lake recovery log quotes one witness
as saying "He went outside and saw the sunlit debris
cloud. About one min later he noted a strange almost
indescribable smell which lasted 45 minutes. Smell
was very pungent, sort of a burning or acrid smell."
Other witnesses described a kerosene, sulphur, or
metallic smell, and one said "like a match had just
been struck."
    The only other amusement in the Tagish Lake
official recovery log is the description of specimen
HG-04: "Not a meteorite -- dung." The recovery
log does not note what it smelled like.
    Perhaps it was Orgueil ("The Sweet Smell of
Orgueil," Meteorite, Feb. '03). Google has failed.
We'll probably have to rely on Bernd to solve
this one, too.

Sterling K. Webb