[meteorite-list] 70th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:02:34 -0800 (PST)

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2007/home.shtml

70th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society
August 13-17, 2007
Tucson Arizona

Lunar and Planetary Institute
NSF-Arizona AMS Laboratory
Southwest Meteorite Center
Planetary Science Institute
Barringer Crater Company
Raytheon, Inc.
Planetary Studies Foundation
Tucson Visitors and Convention Bureau
City of Tucson

Local Organizing Committee
Timothy Jull,
    Geosciences,
    University of Arizona
Timothy Swindle,
    Planetary Sciences & Geosciences,
    University of Arizona
Agnieszka Baier,
    Geosciences/MAPS,
    University of Arizona
Julia Goreva,
    Planetary Sciences,
    University of Arizona
Marvin Killgore,
    Southwest Meteorite Center,
    University of Arizona
Dante Lauretta,
    Planetary Science and
    Southwest Meteorite Center,
    University of Arizona
Elisabetta Pierazzo,
    Planetary Science Institute

Scientific Organizing Committee
Timothy Jull,
    University of Arizona, Co-Chair
Timothy Swindle,
    University of Arizona, Co-Chair
Harold Connolly,
    Kingsborough College, New York
Michael J. Drake,
    University of Arizona
Joseph Goldstein,
    University of Massachusetts
Dante Lauretta,
    University of Arizona
Kevin McKeegan,
    University of California, Los Angeles
Alan Rubin,
    University of California, Los Angeles
Carolyn Shoemaker,
    Flagstaff, Arizona
Meenakshi Wadhwa,
    Arizona State University
Rainer Wieler,
    ETH-Z?rich, Switzerland

  WHEN AND WHERE
The 70th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society will be held
August 13-17, 2007, in Tucson, Arizona at the JW Marriott Starr Pass
Resort and Spa <http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/TUSSP>, a
modern facility opened in 2005. It is located in the western part of
Tucson, adjacent to the Tucson Mountain Park and is a well-appointed
hotel with five restaurants, spas, a golf course, and all the amenities
expected of a large modern spa hotel. The hotel is located approximately
eight miles west of the Tucson airport and a similar distance from
central Tucson and the University of Arizona.

Accommodations: We strongly encourage participants to stay at the
conference hotel. The room rate during the meeting is $89.00 per night,
plus local hotel taxes. This rate will apply for those participants who
arrive a few days early or stay a few days afterward. Up to four people
can share a room and we will make room-sharing arrangements for student
accommodations.

Transportation: Tucson is served by the Tucson International Airport
<http://www.tucsonairport.org>. We recommend attendees fly to Tucson,
but many discount airlines have better service to Phoenix Sky Harbor
International Airport <http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/AVIATION/> (110 miles
away). Rental cars and shuttle services are available at both airports.

Climate: The climate in Tucson is a semi-arid environment (200-250 mm
per year average precipitation) typical of the Sonoran Desert of
southern Arizona and northwest Mexico. The Sonoran Desert is
characterized by a summer rainy season that lasts from early July to
early September. During this period, high temperatures are approximately
37?-40?C (98?-105?F) and lows are around 20?C (70?F). Temperatures drop
rapidly after sunset and evenings can feel quite cool. Maximum
temperatures occur in the later afternoon. Convective thunderstorms are
common in the late afternoon at this time and can delay travel. However,
these rains also can create cooler evenings and the early mornings are
excellent times for walking on the trails around the hotel.

  SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM
Registration will begin on Sunday afternoon, August 12, and be
followed by a welcome reception on the outdoor patio area at the Star
Pass Marriott. Technical sessions will cover a wide range of topics on
meteoritics and planetary science. Special sessions will include the
Phoenix mission to Mars and other current missions. Oral sessions will
be held from Monday morning through Friday afternoon, except for
Wednesday morning. The afternoon of Wednesday will be devoted to invited
talks and award ceremonies. Poster sessions will be held on one or more
evenings. Since we expect sessions to last until Friday afternoon, a
farewell party is planned. Many visitors will want to stay overnight in
Tucson on Friday, since there are few flights to the east coast in the
afternoon.

  GUEST ACTIVITIES AND EXCURSIONS
On Wednesday morning, August 15, we are planning a conference
excursion to the world-renowned Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. If there
is sufficient interest, we will have an alternative Wednesday morning
outing to southeastern Arizona, including the famous old-west town of
Tombstone, Arizona. This trip will include beautiful scenery in the San
Pedro River valley and some Paleoindian mammoth kill sites.

The banquet will be held Wednesday evening, August 15, at the Pima Air
and Space Museum, which is adjacent to the famous U.S. Air Force
"boneyard." It has a large collection of military and civilian aircraft
from all over the world, as well as a Space Museum. We can arrange tours
for a limited number of people late Wednesday afternoon. You will then
return to the Pima Air and Space Museum for the banquet. Advance
registration for this trip will be required.

We are arranging a small golf tournament at Starr Pass for interested
participants. Please contact Rich Cruz <cruz at physics.arizona.edu>
at for details.

  FIELD TRIPS
Pre-Conference Field Trip: Birds of Southern Arizona on Saturday,
August 11

August is a good time for birding in the mountains of the Tucson area.
The afternoon rains of late summer bring a "second spring," and birds
rejuvenate. Also, juvenile and post-breeding adult hummingbirds are on
the move. More than a dozen species can be found at flowers and feeders.
The one-day trip will require several hours of riding in a van, and will
be limited to 24 participants. Your host will be Randy Korotev and other
bird enthusiasts.

Post-Conference Field Trip: Meteor Crater and Northern Arizona on
Saturday, August 18 & Monday, August 20 (tentative dates)

During this trip we will visit the Barringer Meteorite Crater (aka
Meteor Crater), Sunset Volcanic Crater (a young cinder cone), the Grand
Canyon, and possibly the Apollo-era explosion crater test field at
Cinder Lakes. In addition, there will be a cultural stop at Walnut
Canyon, where there are ancient cliff dwellings, and possibly Wupatki,
where there is an ancient pueblo. An evening barbecue is planned at
Barringer Meteorite Crater. The field trip, lasting either two or three
days, will depart from and return to the conference site via bus. Hotels
in Flagstaff and/or Winslow will be arranged for field trip
participants. We also hope to arrange for the bus to drive through the
red rocks of Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona while enroute to Flagstaff.
David Kring will lead the geological excursion and Drew Barringer will
be our host at the impact crater.

  FUTURE ANNOUNCEMENTS
More detailed information will be available in future announcements on
this website (see schedule below). To aid in planning purposes, we
strongly urge you to submit an Indication of Intent form
<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2007/metsoc2007.iofi.cfm> by April 10,
2007. The information on this form
will not only provide invaluable information for the meeting organizers
as they plan logistical strategies for the conference, but will also
subscribe you to an e-mail notification list to receive updates and
reminders relating to the meeting. Please make sure to indicate on the
form if you plan to participate in the field trips.

  FOREIGN TRAVEL INFORMATION
Travelers other than those from Canada, Mexican citizens possessing a
border-crossing card (laser visa), and 27 visa-waiver countries (mostly
western European countries, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand) may need
a visa to enter the U.S. We recommend applying three months or more in
advance for a visa, since U.S. consulates are requiring personal
interviews for most visa applicants. Please consult the International
Visitors Office
<http://www7.nationalacademies.org/visas/Traveling_to_US.html>, which
provides detailed information for scientific visitors.

  CONTACT INFORMATION
For further information regarding the format and scientific objectives
of the meeting, contact

CONFERENCE ORGANIZERS

    Timothy Jull
    University of Arizona
    Phone: 520-621-6816
    E-mail: jull at email.arizona.edu

    Timothy Swindle
    University of Arizona
    Phone: 520-621-4128
    E-mail: tswindle at email.arizona.edu

For information regarding meeting logistics and announcements, contact

LPI MEETING COORDINATOR

    Kimberly Taylor
    Lunar and Planetary Institute
    Phone: 281-486-2151
    E-mail: taylor at lpi.usra.edu

SCHEDULE
April 10, 2007 Deadline for indication of intent and
               second announcement posted on this website
May 15, 2007 Deadline for abstract submission
June 26, 2007 Final announcement, program, and
               abstracts posted on this website
July 13, 2007 Deadline for preregistration
August 13-17, 2007 70th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society
              in Tucson, Arizona