[meteorite-list] New Kansas Meteorite!

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:11:10 -0600

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your comments on our latest recovery. We seem to be averaging
about 1.5 a year. Our longterm goal has been to add 10 new Kansas
meteorites to the books.

Moni asked "When will you find out how old it is?"

I am not sure. The University of Washington is going to do some further
testing on the meteorite, perhaps to answer this question (?). If that is
not what they are going to be doing, then we would be willing to donate a
small sample for isotope testing.

Nice ideal on a quiz Bernd. Since the meteorite seems fresher then Park
Forest finds a month after it's fall, I will guess 2 weeks....from fall to
reported recovery date. If others would like to make guesses I will keep a
record and see if I can get the group to give the closest estimate (or
guessimate) a free micro mount.

Moni also asked, "Why all those great meteorites in Kansas?" California is
not short of its great meteorites, plus it is much easier to make finds
there. One problem with Kansas is that the land is broken up into thousands
of pieces. Unlike the SW, we can't just roam and hunt.

But just imagine, if Kansas still had its original borders which went to the
Rockies...we could claim almost all the Colorado meteorites as well. Wonder
who I can blame for this travesty...General William Jackson Palmer (1836
-1908)

As John observed, the recovery was made with the help of one of the Shaw
brothers, whose work here in the plains is nothing short of amazing.

At this time none of the meteorite has been approved for sale, and if the
history of our other recoveries are good examples, very little will be
offered to collectors. This stone is so beautiful it would be a shame to cut
it up. I will try to let Jerry answer any other e-mails and not be a list

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com
www.kansasmeteorites.com