[meteorite-list] EL's, Collections, etc.

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:54:16 -0500

Hello Mark, Stan and Everyone,

First of all, in the last 24 hours I have "collected" way too many 'green
laser', 'you are a millionaire', 'I got screwed by a Moroccan', 'I'm tired
of Ssteevee' and other numerous other emails.

Anyway, here is the latest and most up to date abstract regarding NWA 2828
and other EL3 Fossil meteorites:
http://www.agu.org/cgi-bin/SFgate/SFgate?&listenv=table&multiple=1&range=1&directget=1&application=fm06&database=%2Fdata%2Fepubs%2Fwais%2Findexes%2Ffm06%2Ffm06&maxhits=200&="P51E-1247"

Just by chance that Mark mentioned this EL3 today, I loaded a couple dozen
NWA 2828 EL3 Fossil meteorite slices and complete stones on eBay "yesterday"
under my seller name, NaturesVault. For those of you who would like to see
many different specimens featuring distinct "chondrules", the discovery in
some NWA 2828 material after initial analysis which is why the
classification went from aubrite to EL3. We have been collectiing and
studying this material for over a year and a half so the scientists have a
good picture of why this meteorite is so confusing and different. Bottom
line, the darker the material, the more weathered., but cool all the same.

Here are some photos of chodrules and other features of NWA 2828:
Photograph of a 24.9g NWA 2828 slice with rhyolite pebble (image 1):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828pebble.jpg

Photograph of magnified radial pyroxene chondrule (image 2):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828chondrule.jpg

Photograph of magnified whitish enstatite-rich clast (image 3):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828clast.jpg

Photograph of a 14.3g complete slice of NWA 2828 (image 4):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828slice.jpg

Here is the abstract again in case the link does not work:
EL3 Chondrite (not Aubrite) Northwest Africa 2828: An Unusual
Paleo-meteorite Occurring as Cobbles in a Terrestrial Conglomerate

AU: * Kuehner, S M
EM: kuehner at ess.washington.edu
AF: Dept. of Earth and Space Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
98195 United States
AU: Irving, A J
EM: irving at ess.washington.edu
AF: Dept. of Earth and Space Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
98195 United States
AU: Bunch, T E
EM: tbear1 at cableone.net
AF: Dept. of Geology, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011
United States
AU: Wittke, J H
EM: james.wittke at nau.edu
AF: Dept. of Geology, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011
United States
AU: Hup?, G M
EM: gmhupe at tampabay.rr.com

AB: Although we recently classified NWA 2828 as an aubrite [1], our
examination of new material (now comprising over 120 stones totaling >27 kg)
requires revision of that classification. New information on the find site
in Algeria indicates that these stones were excavated from a subsurface
deposit, and we have found terrestrial rhyolite pebbles and sandy matrix
attached to several NWA 2828 stones (see images at
http://www.ess.washington.edu/meteoritics). Thus this is a rare example of a
paleo-meteorite or 'fossil' meteorite. Some stones contain sparse (<5 vol.%)
but very distinct round, radial pyroxene chondrules (up to 3 mm across), as
well as rounded, fine-grained aggregates (up to 6 mm across) rich in either
enstatite or sodic plagioclase. Remnant Na-Al-Si-rich glass is present
within cavities in chondrules, both between enstatite blades and in annular
zones. The matrix contains pervasive 0.2-0.5 mm cavities with coatings of
calcite and minor halite and gypsum. Iron sulfate (after troilite),
jarosite, an inhomogeneous (possibly amorphous) phase rich in Fe, Cr, Si,
Ca, Ti, P, S and Cl, minor native sulfur and silica also are present, and
brown Fe-rich rinds on one stone contain up to 6.5 wt.% Ni. These secondary
minerals signify terrestrial alteration of primary metal, sulfides,
phosphides, nitrides and glass in an ancient fluvial and/or acidic
lacustrine environment. The dominant primary phase in NWA 2828 is enstatite
(En98.4Wo1.4), which forms stubby prismatic grains (lacking polysynthetic
twinning indicative of inverted clinoenstatite [cf., 1]). Our original
classification was based on a very small specimen of an apparently
igneous-textured rock, but the discovery of chondrules and the absence of
twinned enstatite now suggests that it is instead an unequilibrated
enstatite chondrite. Additional primary phases noted previously [1] are
sodic plagioclase (An14- 15Or3-4), troilite, graphite, daubreelite,
alabandite, oldhamite, schreibersite, glass and very rare kamacite. The
well-formed, round chondrules containing glass coupled with the
unrecrystallized matrix lead us to re-classify NWA 2828 as an EL3 chondrite.
We also must revise our opinion [1] about the relationship between NWA 2828
and material classified as EL chondrites NWA 2965 and NWA 2736, which
evidently come from the more extensively weathered top of the same ancient
conglomerate layer as NWA 2828. [1] Irving A.J. et al. (2006) 69th Met. Soc.
Mtg., &35;5264 (MAPS 41 Suppl., A84)
DE: 1028 Composition of meteorites (3662, 6240)
DE: 3662 Meteorite mineralogy and petrology (1028, 6240)
DE: 6240 Meteorites and tektites (1028, 3662)
SC: Planetary Sciences [P]
MN: 2006 Fall Meeting

   New Search

I hope this helps with this difficult as well as educating classification.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection